Patient Story: Nouna Kettaneh

Skip to Content

Published on July 29, 2015

Patient Story: Nouna Kettaneh

Orthopaedic surgery patient Nouna KettanehNouna Kettaneh is very happy with her replacement knee and the treatment she received at The Orthopaedic Institute at Concord Hospital and Concord Orthopaedics – and she’s ecstatic that she has her active lifestyle back.

Nouna has played tennis off and on throughout her life, even playing competitively into her 70s. But her seriously arthritic knee kept her off the court in 2013, and often off her feet.

“I couldn’t even sit. I had to lie down because the pain was really bad,” she said. 

Dr. Jeffrey Wiley of Concord orthopaedics replaced Nouna’s left knee in July 2013 when she was 74.

“Now, sitting, standing and playing tennis don’t bother me,” she said.

Nouna’s knee problems began in late 2007, with arthritis and a torn meniscus, the cartilage that helps cushion the knee. Surgery at another facility left her with limited mobility.

Her physical therapist recommended she see Dr. John (Sean) O’Connor at Concord Orthopaedics, who treated the knee with medication and a brace that kept Nouna active, and on the tennis court, for about
five years.

“I was not treated as a bad knee,” Nouna said. “They understood me and my lifestyle.”

By 2013, when treatments were no longer effective, Dr. O’Connor recommended surgery with Dr. Wiley.

Receiving a reassuring phone call from Dr. Wiley the night before surgery and being greeted in the morning by caring staff at Concord Hospital helped ease her anxiety.

“To just have someone come and talk with you, walk with you and have all the needed paperwork filled in – just needing signatures – those things mean so much,” she said.

A Hospital staffer also attended to Nouna’s husband, Svante Wold, reassuring him that his wife was in good hands and reporting to him frequently during surgery. Nouna worked hard in physical therapy to rebuild muscles and endurance, at home and with personal trainers. Nine months after the replacement, she was playing tennis three or four times a week, with people 30 years her junior.

As a follow-up to her knee surgery, Nouna now meets with Dr. O’Connor twice a year so that he can evaluate her knee and discuss her progress.