When your child needs pediatric care, same-day surgery, or an extended hospital stay, you can count on our team of pediatric specialists to meet your child’s physical, behavioral and emotional health needs.
Our multidisciplinary team of pediatricians, pediatric hospitalists, pediatric nurses, social workers and dietitians, as well as our pediatric pharmacist and child life specialist have the experience, knowledge and resources to provide high quality care, close to home. They work together, keeping your child and family at the center of all they do, to ensure the best possible medical outcome for your child. If your child needs a level of care only offered through a children’s hospital, our providers will make the appropriate referral.
Pediatric Unit Tour
You and your child can tour our pediatric unit before your child's scheduled surgery to meet the staff, see the unit and ask questions. Our pediatric staff greet you and your child on the unit and answer your questions about your stay. It's a great way to get familiar with our unit before your child's stay.
Tell Me More
- Preventive health care through primary care practices including immunizations and well-child visits.
- Diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic conditions.
- Pre and postsurgical care for pediatric procedures.
- Care for patients with special medical needs.
- A certified child life specialist to provide age-appropriate preparation for procedures and treatments.
- Day Surgery Center tours for pediatric patients and families.
Friendly, Family Centered Pediatric Care
The Family Place, our pediatric unit, incorporates the family-centered care philosophy and uses child life services to reduce emotional and physical stress children sometimes experience during a stay. The unit features family-friendly rooms with sleep-in capability allowing you to stay with your child overnight, as well as a dedicated treatment room, a family room, a cheerful playroom and a mobile aquarium.
Short Pediatric Observation Treatment Program (SPOT)
If your child needs a scheduled infusion or treatment, it’s performed on our family friendly unit as part of our SPOT Program. The Program offers a pediatric-friendly environment where your child can receive medical services. We work with you to schedule a time that’s convenient. It also supports providing our young patients requiring emergency services, treatment outside of our busy Emergency Department.
Easing Your Child’s Anxieties & Your Concerns
Our Child Life Services Program offers play, coping and family support to ease your child's anxieties and your concerns. Services are available weekdays and provided by a certified child life specialist.
What Does a Child Life Specialist Do?
• Prepares your child for procedures by using gentle language, play, and education.
• Uses therapeutic medical play to increase your child’s understanding and comfort during hospitalization.
• Helps you and your child cope during procedures by using techniques such as deep breathing, guided imagery, and distraction.
• Helps explain your child’s hospitalization in a way that siblings, classmates, and other children will understand.
• Serves as a resource for information on child development, parenting, and car seat safety.
• Helps connect you with other resources in the community.
• Assists you and your child in preparations for your transition home.
• Engages your child in age-appropriate play including arts and crafts and pretend play.
Behavioral Health Services
As your child awaits transfer to an appropriate level of care for a behavioral condition, our pediatric team collaborates with psychiatrists to provide a safe environment. When possible, your child will receive behavioral health care services in our pediatric unit. Our unit provides a calmer, quieter environment than our busy Emergency Department. Additionally, we offer interventions to help comfort your child in emotional distress and decrease symptoms of anxiety.