If you or your family member lives with diabetes, the key to staying healthy is understanding diabetes care and management. Diabetes self-management education and training can help care for and manage the disease. Our Diabetes Self-Management Program is a comprehensive outpatient referral-based education program that empowers participants to take control and successfully manage their diabetes. Participation provides you with the opportunity to fully understand the rationale for early aggressive intervention to prevent complications from diabetes.
- Basics of Type 1, Type 2 and gestational diabetes
- Blood glucose monitoring
- Nutrition counseling for blood glucose and lipid management
- Guidelines for meal planning, dining out, grocery shopping, label reading, and travel
- Insulin and medication
- Diabetes and sick days
- Acute and chronic complications
- Stress management
- Behavior goal setting
- Preconception care and gestational diabetes
- Introduction to pumping therapy
- Glucose sensor
- Exercise program based on your fitness level, interest, and needs
The certified diabetes educators conduct a thorough patient assessment to recommend safe and appropriate medication and/or insulin requirements based on pattern management. They work closely with your endocrinologist or primary care provider, ensuring your physician receives a summary of your visits and your specific goals.
American Diabetes Association Recognition
The Diabetes Self-Management Education program has been awarded continued recognition from the American Diabetes Association (ADA). The program was originally recognized in June 1994 and offers high-quality education services to the patients it serves.