Skip to Content
Home > Wellness > Health Library > Chemical Pinkeye (Conjunctivitis)
Chemical pinkeye (conjunctivitis) or toxic pinkeye is caused by
getting smoke, liquids, fumes, or chemicals in the eye. Flushing the eye with
running water must be done immediately to remove the toxic chemical or
Mild pinkeye can be caused by the chlorine in swimming pools. Most
people don't need treatment. After the eye is rinsed free of the toxic
substance, artificial tears or ointment may be used to decrease the redness and
Symptoms of serious pinkeye caused by a toxic substance
Pinkeye from a chemical or toxic substance needs to be evaluated by a
Chemical pinkeye is not contagious.
November 2, 2011
William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine & H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine
How this information was developed to help you make better health decisions.
To learn more visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2013 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
250 Pleasant Street
Concord, NH 03301
Contact Concord Hospital
View Quality Data
© 2014 Concord Hospital