Special Care Nursery
Schedule a tour of The Family Place today.
When your newborn needs extra medical attention, you can trust Concord Hospital's Special Care Nursery to provide the highly-skilled care he or she needs to thrive. As a Level II nursery, the Special Care Nursery in The Family Place is able to care for premature infants born as early as 32 weeks gestation who need respiratory, intravenous or feeding support. Pediatric hospitalists, specialized nurses, respiratory therapist, as well as radiology and laboratory personnel provide 24 hour coverage at the Hospital.
The nursery is designed so you can stay with your newborn overnight in the same room. In addition to three rooms for parents and newborns, it includes three acute care bays for babies who need emergency care. This family-centered care extends to our rounding process where your baby's multidisciplinary care team includes you in daily rounds to discuss your infant's treatment plan.
Life-Saving Medical Services
- Neonatal resuscitation available at every delivery as needed
- Care for infants equal to or greater than 32 weeks gestation and equal to or greater than 1,500 grams (3 lbs. 5 oz.)
- Respiratory support: assisted ventilation <24 hours, continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP), and/or oxygen administration by nasal cannula
- Continuous cardiac and apnea monitoring
- Neutral thermal regulation as needed in an isolette, radiant warmer or open crib
- Oral and IV medication administration
- Blood gas analysis
- Assistance with feedings including: breastfeeding support, use of donor human milk and fortified milk available as needed via oral and/or nasogastric feeding advancement to ensure proper nutrition
- Maintaining peripheral IV access with basic parenteral solution and/or routine IV fluids
Postpartum and Social Services Support
- Convalescent care following neonatal intensive care
- Lactation consultants seven days a week with follow-up visits available upon discharge
Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome (NAS) Care
- Therapeutic music
- Medication for the treatment of withdrawal symptoms as needed