Diabetes Self-Management Education Program
Do you know diabetes? Take our diabetes quiz and test your knowledge.
Our Diabetes Self-Management Program provides training and self-management education to people with diabetes and their families. The Program is a comprehensive outpatient referral-based education program that empowers patients to take control and successfully manage their diabetes. By participating in our program, patients have an opportunity to fully understand the rationale for early aggressive intervention to prevent complications from diabetes.
Our program includes:
- Pre-diabetes and ;
- Basics of Type 1, Type 2 and gestational diabetes;
- Blood glucose monitoring;
- Nutrition counseling for blood glucose and lipid management;
- Guidelines for meal planning, dining out, grocery shopping, label reading and travel;
- Insulin and medication;
- Diabetes and sick days;
- Acute and chronic complications;
- Stress management;
- Behavior goal setting;
- Preconception care and gestational diabetes;
- Introduction to pump therapy;
- Glucose sensor;
- Exercise program based on your fitness level, interest and needs.
The certified diabetes educators on our medical staff work closely with patients' physicians or primary care providers. Educators conduct a thorough patient assessment to recommend safe and appropriate medication and/or insulin requirements based on pattern management. Physicians receive a summary of the visits and patient specific goals.